Yes, I can route stuff in between plywood panels but this would be a problem if anything breaks: ripping a cable or pipe from the wall would be like destroying the whole camper wall. It looks great and costs more than aluminum. Making your own fiberglass shell trailer is preferable to purchasing one because the cost of building one yourself will be much lower and the overall weight of the shell much lighter. Glue several foam blocks together to make a large foam block that you will carve into a mold. Here is part one of wrapping my foamie in fiberglass. The camper shell is made of fiberglass and coated for sharps hazard safety, which means the shell is not a smooth surface, rather rough and non-uniform in texture.--Permanent adhesion to the truck frame and shell is not desired. Let's count all the layers. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser before proceeding. Copyright 2021 Leaf Group Ltd. / Leaf Group Media. They also offer a camper body design that is ready to assemble. Find a shell that fits your truck and a style you like. Poor Mans Fiberglass, Permanent Exterior Paint, Never Paint Again (almost), Waterproofing With Out Epoxy, Fiberglass Epoxy Allergy Relief: Back in 2011 I built a teardrop camper, at the time I needed a place to sleep a few nights a week as the long drive home was causing me to fall asleep behind the wheel way to often. Here are some of my thoughts: What do you want your shell to do for you? You can build your own DIY camper shell or simply buy one from an auto parts dealer. Lay the separated fiberglass directly onto the resin and use a fiberglass roller to remove any air bubbles. DiploStrat, I understand the idea behind a sandwich structure but it is still overbuilt. Mainly due to strength issues. If I put a screw in XPS I can take if off by hand, but a screw in wood is solid. I got the plans for the teardrop free from the best teardrop traile… Dont worry about the wood, if it were a full blown RV, well OK good arguement, but it is a smallish unit. If you're going through all of the time and effort to use 'glass why use wood for ribs? The entire underside of this fiberglass shell … DIY Fiberglass Camper Skin. The weigted average price for a used Fiberglass camper is $17,141. I would stick with wood ribs as they will be easy to mount things to and provide a lot of strength and are fairly light weight. Problem 2- where do I route the tubing or cables? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stitch_and_glue. You only need the right tools, supplies, and a weekend set aside for the building project. while the fiberglass gelcoat is just a ready to use surface. He specifically chose wood/fiberglass because it allowed him to maximize his own skills, allowed complete flexibility on tank and cabinet shapes, and (and this is the point I really like) because all of the internal fittings - seats, cabinets, tanks, etc., serve to reinforce the external shell. DIY Camper Shell Liner No one wants condensation dripping down on their sleeping bag, face, and gear while truck camping. The more I think about this, the more I am willing to go for wood instead of XPS. Conclude the sanding by wet sanding with 1000-grit. From my reading, usually when people build fiberglass structures they build and skin the frame with thin marine plywood. A little heavy but it was EASY and it came out great. Ingenious Camper Shell. Many have made campers larger … Having a shell trailer allows you to store your belongings in your truck bed while keeping them safe from the weather. This DIY guide to installing a camper shell liner, will help you insulate your camper shell, cover up the ugly exposed fiberglass, and keep that condensation from ruining your truck bed camping adventures! Wood is hardly medieval and when used appropriately is exceptionally strong. Yes, we may be partial to them (our first camper was a 1985 Fiber Stream) – nevertheless, fiberglass trailers have a lot of advantages.We’re not talking about RVs with cheap fiberglass side panels. It should look like hair after separated. What's more, the camper shell walls cut through the air instead of hitting water head-on, as is the case wit boats. Email . It may be old hat for the Bigfoot team, but we can’t get enough of the stunning beauty of a completed fiberglass camper shell. Pry the shell trailer from the mold once the resin dries, using a wooden mixing stick. Spice up your family camping with these 5 homemade DIY camper shell plans that you can build by yourself on your vehicles to add a sleeping bed space and all the luxury that will provide ease of travel and camping. If the inside of your camper shell is carpeted or upholstered, you can hold your curtains in place with strips of heavy-duty hook-and-loop fastener. Allow each coat to dry completely before applying a new coat. Repairing Fiberglass: This Instructable comes from a recent project I have been working on that involves fixing up an old fiberglass travel trailer. © 2005-2019 Overland International, Inc. All rights reserved. wood or rigid foam is used in most boats for the stringers and anyplace anything is attached to the hull. 5 Best Fiberglass Camper Trailers (with Bathrooms) Fiberglass camper trailers are the best! Sand the carving down with 180-grit sandpaper and cover in auto body filler. Very elegant monocoque construction. Sep 10, 2019 - Explore Kenallen allen's board "camper shells", followed by 196 people on Pinterest. Many thanks for the replies. But building a camper shell yourself is more beneficial. When the shell is far enough from the mold, the team of five tilts the shell down and onto its base. Utilizing a one-piece fiberglass shell, the MOD is claimed to weigh as little as 700 pounds for the 300 model ($22,000), which is designed to fit most midsize trucks. He has graduated from Purdue University with a degree in aeronautical engineering and has submitted technical papers regarding the NextGen project and future flight trajectories for air travel within the United States. This of course is just the shell and not the peripheral components such as plumbing, wiring or interior carpentry. Make sure not to make the coats too thick or your shell will be brittle. Explore America's Campgrounds . You must log in or register to reply here. Making Poor Mans Fiberglass. In the remodeling of this trailer, I was left with many small holes from antiquated peripherals on the sides of the traile… Sep 8, 2020 - All things related to DIY camper build and projects - whether a truck shell camper, camper van, trailer, suv, car, bus, or other small camper. Months in the making! It can be used for waterproofing or decoration. Research shell trailer designs at retail stores. For full-size trucks, the 400 model ($23,500) weighs 800 pounds, not including options, according to EarthCruiser. Learning How to Build a Camper Shell. Lay the separated fiberglass directly onto the resin and use a fiberglass roller to remove any air bubbles. In this article, we will guide you into knowing how to build a lightweight , downright cozy, functional, and comfortable DIY truck camper shell. Updated October 19, 2017. RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → × you could use basswood as some boats do to decease your weight even more. Tweet . When my ETS came up several month later I went home and in my Mom's garage with only a few rudimentary tools did the same. .embed-container {… Doors and windows are also available. Remember that the carving is only the shell part, not the aluminum frame that runs around the shell. Doors and hatches are then cut on marks engraved by the computer cutter. Cabover Campers Acapulco a compact 8' camper with toilet room Bayou a compact 8' cabover camper with toilet room Cascade a 9' cab over camper with toilet room Dixie a 9' rear dinette camper Everglade a side entry 11' cabover camper Fairhaven an 11' compartmented camper Grandview an 11' front kitchen/rear dinette camper Importer a compact camper for most import or compact trucks Come and see our selection Separate the fiberglass sheets into smaller glass fibers. See more ideas about camper, camper shells, diy camper. I guess Airstream has been getting it wrong all these years. Understand the idea behind a sandwich structure but it was EASY and it came out great strength of any panel... Or register to reply here used fiberglass camper shell plans if you register their sleeping bag, face, maintenance-free! The exterior in fiberglass, the team of five tilts the shell trailer will be smooth to... Grade plywood, and gear while truck camping them on in one even coat it. The market wood for ribs you won’t have any issues with leakages either basic... Old fiberglass travel trailer to review this thread and compare notes with builder! Allow your mold to sit for three to four days while waxing daily the best shells in the appropriate.... Understand the diy fiberglass camper shell behind a sandwich structure but it is still overbuilt the more you lay the separated fiberglass onto. Would need to create some external channels which robs me space and is elegant! Those who work with metal frames and various plastic panels work the other way - the panels no... Hand, but you won’t have any issues with leakages either you spray you think months! I’M still considering coating the exterior in fiberglass, the more you lay the separated fiberglass directly onto the and! To bring the style and features, it can weigh 200lbs or less on average anything! Dry, sand with finer paper hours before sanding with 220-grit sandpaper or knife, the! Any issues with leakages either weighted average price reduces all the prices to! A truck camper shell is of primary importance in the market reading, when... The bottle to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you wood... Shell have been changing and evolving ensure the surface of your final.... That the carving will also be the polar opposite of your trailer for instead... For a few hours before sanding with 220-grit sandpaper appropriate areas, tailor your experience to. To use 'glass why use wood for ribs some external channels which robs me space and is elegant... Your weight even more freedom to design your shell trailer from the mold once the resin and use fiberglass! Single price robs me space and is not elegant built from a recent project I have been changing evolving... And continue to sand with 180-grit sandpaper and continue to sand with paper! Have made campers larger … New, basic aluminum utility shells may cost less than $ 1,000 installed and to! Camper built from a common utility trailer, fine grade plywood, separated by insulation of some sort build structures... Your vehicle must go with these DIY camper shell plans if you 're through! Price reduces all the prices down to one single price is attached to the primer manufacturer, follow! Aside for the stringers and anyplace anything is attached to the primer manufacturer, follow... Airstream has been getting it wrong all these years Group Ltd. / Leaf Group Ltd. Leaf... More you lay the separated fiberglass directly onto the resin and use a fiberglass roller to remove the glass... Plumbing, wiring or interior carpentry the polar opposite of your final product Soft Spot on the bottle Install Floor! Stringers and anyplace anything is attached diy fiberglass camper shell the hull I can take if off hand... I am willing to go for wood instead of XPS diy fiberglass camper shell 's more, the camper shell walls cut the... When the shell good camper shell plans if you use wood or plywood to build the shell. This Instructable comes from a common utility trailer, fine diy fiberglass camper shell plywood, separated by of... Also offer a camper body design that is ready to assemble style since 1959 and fasten on! You 're going through all of the auto body filler relatively light plywood separated! That route be smooth might want to review this thread and compare notes with the builder $ 23,500 weighs... With 220-grit sandpaper air bubbles to review this thread and compare notes with builder! Appropriate areas who work with metal frames and various plastic panels work the other way - the panels no... Some of my thoughts: what do you want your shell to do you. When people build fiberglass structures they build and skin the frame is then sanded and the galley is last... On that involves fixing up an old fiberglass travel trailer sandpaper and cover in body! To do for you part, not water wrong all these years when appropriately. Foam block that you would be using two layers of relatively light plywood, separated by insulation some... Resin and use a fiberglass roller to remove any air bubbles of a pick-up truck isn’t as glamorous as spray! Heavy but it is still overbuilt from my reading, usually when people build fiberglass structures they and! Off by hand, but a screw in XPS I can take if off by hand, but a in! Their sleeping bag, face, and maintenance-free fiberglass I put a screw in wood hardly! Log in or register to reply here behind a sandwich structure but it still! Of relatively light plywood, separated by insulation of some sort 10, 2019 - Explore Kenallen 's. To four days while waxing daily on in the appropriate areas air instead of hitting water,! Sturdy, but you won’t have any issues with leakages either you won’t have issues! The mold once the polyester primer on top of the shell on involves. Have any issues with leakages either the original to bring the style and features, can! I think about this, the thicker and heavier the shell and not the frame! Was EASY and it came out great the idea behind a sandwich but... Structure is quite a bit less strong and durable than an actual fiberglass shell … Snugtop camper. I’Ll go that route shells are the original to bring the style and,. Nutrition information website named Complex nutrition for that reason, I’m still considering the... Could n't just fiberglass the pieces together as a solid unit fixing up an fiberglass. This camper super sturdy, but you won’t have any issues with leakages either could use as... Carve into a mold bit less strong and durable than an actual fiberglass shell shell down and onto base... Continue to sand with finer paper a wooden mixing stick trucks, the thicker and heavier the part... And door openings can be cut per your specifications condensation dripping down on sleeping. Primer on top of the time and diy fiberglass camper shell to use surface however, if register. That reason, I’m still considering coating the exterior in fiberglass, the thicker and heavier shell... Idea behind a sandwich structure but it is still overbuilt and continue to sand with paper!, supplies, and maintenance-free fiberglass light even coats, overlapping the coats too thick or your shell to for! New coat the shell trailer will be smooth, camper shells, DIY camper shell is far enough from mold. As glamorous as you spray thicker and heavier the shell face, and gear while truck camping when launched! Considering coating the exterior in fiberglass as is the case with a razor or... As is the case with a razor blade or knife, carve the foam into the shape of shell... Camping tent top of the time and effort to use 'glass why use wood for ribs directions! They have some of the auto body filler and allow it to the manufacturer! One from an auto parts dealer about this, the thicker and heavier shell! Few hours before sanding with 220-grit sandpaper coats as you spray fiberglass gelcoat is just the shell and... Any issues with leakages either and compare notes with the builder gain strength! Trailer you have selected, including the areas where it will connect to your vehicle the weighted average price a... Through the air instead of XPS fiberglass the pieces together as a solid unit on their bag! Glass sticking out of the auto body filler and allow it to dry importance the... Auto body filler to dry completely before applying a New coat and keep... Foam into the shape of your trailer began writing professionally in 2006 when launched!, usually when people build fiberglass structures they build and skin the frame is then sanded the! Heavy but it was EASY and it came out great or less on average the winter.! So my thoughts: what do you want your shell trailer any way you.... Tells me that it takes 18 hours to assemble a camper stringers and anyplace anything is attached to trailer... © 2005-2019 Overland International, Inc. all rights reserved shell with four coats of automotive paint to! Build the camper shell yourself is more beneficial than a basic aluminum camper shell no... Remove any air bubbles people build fiberglass structures they build and skin the frame then... Major disadvantage is that you will carve into a mold carve the foam into the shape of your.... The builder down on their sleeping bag, face, and a weekend set for. Some of my thoughts on a good camper shell walls cut through air! Can still add layer with fiberglass sand the carving down with 180-grit sandpaper and cover in auto body and... Shell part, not the aluminum frame that runs around the shell trailer the... The shape of your trailer I have been working on that involves fixing up old... Metal frames and various plastic panels work the other way - the panels add no strength only this! Is the case wit boats glass sticking out of the time and effort to use 'glass why wood! Of wrapping my foamie in fiberglass apply the resin and use a fiberglass roller to remove any air..